Monday, July 11, 2016

Paralogue 9.3: A Lifetime Without a Father


Featuring: Claire, Versailles

[5:59 PM] [SPICY] bemun: After another day of sight seeing Claire heads back to the inn
[6:04 PM] spikethe3rd: Versailles sits in front of the inn on a wooden chair sleeping.
[6:05 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "Uh, Versailles? You could catch a cold sleeping like that."
[6:07 PM] spikethe3rd: "Uhh?" Versailles blinks awake. "Claire? Oh, the innkeeper would have woken me..." Versailles stretched and yawned.
[6:09 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "But still, someone could have stolen from you if you had anything valuable."
[6:11 PM] spikethe3rd: "I have faith that none would steal from a holy man." Versailles smiled. "Besides, I have nothing on me I can't replace."
[6:11 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "Just, be careful, okay?"
[6:11 PM] [SPICY] bemun: Claire sits with him
[6:13 PM] spikethe3rd: "How was today?" Versailles stood up and stretched his legs before sitting back down.
[6:17 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "Whew, it was a day. I was practising in the castle training grounds, but then a bunch of knights from the castle itself wanted to spar with me, and it ended up me training them from morning to near the evening. And after I just did some sight-seeing"
[6:19 PM] spikethe3rd: "Sounds like a full day! I did my daily meditation, and just wandered the town."
[6:20 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "Heh, we have a very similar schedule, you meditate and I practise."
[6:20 PM] spikethe3rd: "I suppose so, we stimulate the mind and body in order to keep our strength."
[6:23 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "I wonder, what kind of person will be able to master both the body and mind?"
[6:26 PM] spikethe3rd: "I think it depends on what you consider mastery. I think you could easily do so yourself."
[6:26 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "Hmm, how do you master the mind?"
[6:27 PM] spikethe3rd: "Well, if you are strong of mind, like being able to push your limits, I would be apt to call you a master. It is not so much what you think, but how you do."
[6:31 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "I see, maybe it is within grasp..."
[6:31 PM] [SPICY] bemun: Claire ponders
[6:32 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "I've heard the term, "strong in spirit"or was it soul? Would you happen to know what that may mean?"
[6:34 PM] spikethe3rd: "I think that refers to ones willpower. That is a mix of mental and physical might. To be able to push the body with the mind or endure great hardships."
[6:35 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "So how do you strengthen your willpower? Is it something your train?"
[6:39 PM] spikethe3rd: "Many ways, usually through a physical trial that is painful but non-damaging. Sitting under waterfalls is a notorious example, but I feel extreme heat or cold are much better teachers."
[6:41 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "Extreme conditioning? Hmm, I always neglected that part of training, maybe I should get back to bit..."
[6:44 PM] spikethe3rd: "I suppose there are easier ways to accomplish this. Meticulous activities can create similar results. For example, counting rice can help your focus."
[6:46 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "Ugh, that sounds far too draining, for my sanity."
[6:48 PM] spikethe3rd: "Haha, being able to focus for long periods is the challenge. Do not fret, simply being able to wake up each morning is itself a mental challenge, and you do that, no?"
[6:49 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "Is it? I don't feel that it's all to challenging on the mind."
[6:49 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "I'm not even sure if I think in the morning to begin with."
[6:52 PM] spikethe3rd: "Then you may be stronger mentally more than you think. Many new monks find the early meditation and chores to be a hardship, but grow to learn that it is rewarding."
[6:58 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "Heh, I always thought monks and priests would be more disciplined than I."
[7:00 PM] spikethe3rd: "We are not born into it. It takes time to grow these strengths. I'm sure your time training helped. But yes, many monks were not the men you see today." Versailles smiled, seeming to reminisce.
[7:01 PM] [SPICY] bemun: Claire laughs a bit. "That's exactly something a knight would say to a recruit."
[7:04 PM] spikethe3rd: "Starting to train is like planting a tree. The best time to do so is 10 years ago. The second best time is now." Versailles smiled. "Many times I have wished that I started my monk life sooner, discovered philosophy sooner. I feel I could be so much farther along."
[7:05 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "When did you begin your monk life? I thought you were born into a monastery."
[7:08 PM] spikethe3rd: "No, I began my official monk life..." He paused trying to remember. " ...7 years ago. But I started going to the monastery when I was a young boy."
[7:09 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "That's pretty recent actually."
[7:12 PM] spikethe3rd: "Yes, I was unable to fully commit because I had to assist my mother with her shop. Many might have considered me part of the monastery but I only went to learn."
[7:13 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "So you were something like an honourary monk, and became an official one later."
[7:13 PM] spikethe3rd: "I suppose that would be best to describe it."
[7:17 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "Well, you were helping your mother, so I feel you were doing a greater deed."
[7:17 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "But what if your father?"
[7:19 PM] spikethe3rd: "My father had no part in raising me. He was a man from Valenheim who only bore me a name." Versailles tries to talk normally but has a serious tone.
[7:20 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "I... I see"
[7:21 PM] spikethe3rd: "Do not worry about that, he is not to blame for his actions. He was unprepared for a child and I cannot expect one who is unprepared to do something so difficult." Versailles smiled, a bit forced but with genuine intent
[7:25 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "Is that what you truly think?"
[7:29 PM] spikethe3rd: "I have spent many years thinking on the subject. I have no reason to hate my father for he like many men made a mistake. I can forgive him for his mistakes as I would any other. I do believe he wasn't ready. My mother on the other hand made herself ready by raising me. And I can only see her as the perfect example of kindness. She spent much of her life caring for me and I wish to spread that caring to others."
[7:33 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "What if by chance, you met your father, will you still forgive him? No matter how he ends up?"
[7:34 PM] spikethe3rd: Versailles looks at Claire with the expression of 'Oh I know what I'd do'
[7:34 PM] spikethe3rd: "Yes, I would forgive him if he wanted forgiveness. Otherwise I would treat him as I treat everyone."
[7:35 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "I, that does make sense, to do that."
[7:35 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "I just don't think I can do that if my father left me when I was born."
[7:36 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "My father is mostly the reason I am who I am, in fact he's the reason I'm here right now. But I could never forgive a father who abandons their family."
[7:37 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "A father cannot be a father without raising a family with his loved one."
[7:38 PM] spikethe3rd: "I understand your reason for expecting him to be a bad person but I don't think its that simple." Versailles sighed. "If a man pushed you aside as you walked through the street you'd think him a rude man, no?"
[7:39 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "If he did only that, yes I would. If he apologized, I would forget about it."
[7:40 PM] spikethe3rd: "See, If your only interaction with a person is a bad one, how can you judge them? He may be a rude man for only a minute but if you experience only that minute of him, he is ingrained as a bad person."
[7:41 PM] spikethe3rd: "My only experience with my father is his leaving. He must have had a reason. He had his own dreams and aspirations and a child would hurt him. Would I have preferred a father who resented me?" Versailles asked semi-retorically.
[7:42 PM] [SPICY] bemun: Claire leans back in thought."
[7:42 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "I haven't thought about it like that, I guess when you think about it that way."
[7:45 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "But still, a father has a responsibility, but I guess every situation can be different."
[7:47 PM] spikethe3rd: "Claire trust me. I have meditated on this for many years. I have worried about it more than I'd like to. But what is important to me is now. Having friends that care enough to ask about my past is more meaningful than a lifetime without a father." Versailles smiled at Claire.
[7:55 PM] [SPICY] bemun: The smile flusters Claire for some reason. "Y-yeah, what are friends for?"
[7:57 PM] spikethe3rd: Versailles stands, "Thanks for caring Claire. I'm glad I could talk to you about this."
[8:09 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "No problem, if you have anything you want to talk about, I'm here for you." her face turning redder by the sentence
[8:11 PM] spikethe3rd: Versailles looked at the sky. "Hmm... its getting late. I'd better let you get to your room, you might catch a cold out here!" He joked.
[8:17 PM] [SPICY] bemun: "Hah. Funny." Claire composed herself, still blushing, but less flustered. "I should go to my room though, good night Versailles."
[8:18 PM] spikethe3rd: "Good night." He waved, walking away.
[8:29 PM] [SPICY] bemun: Claire walks back into her room and closes the door, and immediately put her back on the door as she sat down with her hand over her rapidly beating heart. *Wh-what's wrong with me?! Why Is my heart- * with each word/thought, her face reached new limits of red. I-he- wait, was it something I ate today? Maybe that's, no I had a regular lunch. Was it the training? No, I'm used to training and being trained. she ruffles her hair with her hands. Argh... What is this feeling? Its, it makes me feel all... Squeezy inside, but it makes me feel happier??? letting out a sigh, Claire gets up and falls back down onto her bed. ah whatever, it'll probably be gone by tomorrow. Nothing a good night's sleep can't fix. And with that, she slept with a smile on her face.
[8:32 PM] [SPICY] bemun: ====end rp===



No comments:

Post a Comment