Sunday, January 1, 2017

CHAPTER 6: The Metallic Monster

Featuring: Luna, Mana

https://www.reddit.com/r/Reddit_Emblem/comments/59aakt/group_c_chapter_6/
[3:21 AM] Amasuro: “I guess I really can’t catch a break, ...can I?”

For a city aptly described as a ‘peasant shithole’ by what information I was fed by...certain sources, Kranhai was a far more thriving city than I had ever imagined. True, the buildings were actually constructed using basic or flimsy materials upon closer inspection, but the place seemed to be clean and well maintained. And considering who was apart of our little band of soldiers, the citizens of Kranhai were almost overjoyed to greet me and everyone else as we entered. I don’t really know how to break it to them that I’m unsure if I want to aid them in their fight yet, but the treatment was welcome. Nothing I’m not used to already, being Queen and all, but still welcome. ”But I let my guard down too fast.” For a city so inviting, it made sense that we’d spend at least a day here resting before setting off for Concordia, right? I mean, the port is right there, and these so called rebellious peasants already agreed to lend a ship to us. Well, I think they’re expecting a favour back from me later on, but for now its a free ship. I’ll probably entertain their requests. Eventually. The layout of the city itself reminded me of our own, actually. There was a massive, square shaped plaza in the center of the city where most important events or festivals were held. The buildings were well constructed and pleasing to look at from the outside. Everything was packed tightly together, welcoming a larger population. There was a slight smell if you focused hard enough. ...The smell part doesn’t remind me of our own city, in case you didn’t catch that. ”And it is coming closer.”
It was just too bad. Just too bad. To see it all destroyed. ”We can’t defeat that. We just...we just can’t…” ___________________________________________________________ “Milady!” Came the familiar, female cry from my side. Through the incredible ringing sound stuck in my ear, that familiar sound was very much welcome. Her small arms wrapped around one of mine as I struggled to my feet. My blurred vision quickly becoming clear again, as my sense of hearing returned. Steading my frayed mind and senses, I put a hand against my head, trying to survey my surroundings. That, or I was checking to make sure it wasn’t bleeding. With the pain I felt, I was more surprised it hadn’t split open already. “M-Milady, we have to evacuate now!” Mana urged, tugging my arm backwards, “we need to...get to the ship!” “...Is everyone else...already there…?” I struggled to say, like my throat was filled with rocks and dust. “I-I don’t know where...everyone else is-!” “Then you expect me to just...leave everyone behind?” “Milady, you almost died in that first attack! W-we can’t stay! You can’t die!” I can’t die, huh? Gee, how many times have I heard that one since this entire mess began back in the castle? Tch, everyone, they’re all the same. They treat me like some dainty Queen, holed up in her castle all day unaware of the dangers and villains of the world. They believe me to be weak. A woman who needs to be pathetic. How insulting. And coming from you especially, Mana. I would have believed you knew what I was capable of. I am Lunarea Rurijisa, the very best assassin and the best damn fighter in this entire company. I am not the leader who sits in the back, waiting for my pawns to clear the field for me. No, I am the one that clears the field herself. “Don’t be stupid, Mana. You think I would...run from this threat?” I spat angrily at her, the adrenaline kicking in before I realized what she actually said, “ ...wait, what do you mean by first attack?” “You were already struck when the city was bombarded! That’s why we’re here! M-milady, there’s no way we can defeat that...that...thing-!” “Respect me, by not underestimating what I can do,” I spoke clearly, now standing back up onto my two feet, “we’ll crush this thing, and protect the city. What is this thing you are talking about, and where is it?” Mana’s face changed for a moment, as if she tried to hold in a scream. Like she tried to tell me what an idiot I was being. Sometimes, I wished that she had just let that scream out right then and there, then maybe this would have never happened. “T-this way,” Mana spoke defeated, before running off around a building reduced to rubble nearby. My leg still hurt slightly, upon putting pressure onto it, but I dug my feet into the ground and dashed off behind her. ___________________________________________________________ A monstrosity. A creation that never should have existed. Standing not far from our position, stood what I could only describe as a massive moving building. The world’s largest galleon, rolling on wheels. Two massive cannons jutted out of the sleek, silvery sides of the contraption, as it sat perched in front of the city. The entire thing almost looked like it was made with some sort of silver-like material, but to that size? The panicked screams of Kranhai’s citizens finally began to register now in my brain, as I watched them all run past me, into the safety of the city behind. Well, that didn’t really seem to deter the metallic monster, as its two cannons fired massive explosions of fire, crashing down onto the ground. The stone floor around me had tattered and broken long ago from the multitudes of blasts from the thing. Yet before acknowledging its presence, the first words out of my mouth addressed a different inconsistency. “I thought you said you didn’t know where everyone was?” I asked, as I stared at the backs of the brave soldiers that had carried me all the way to this city. The group seemed battered, but definitely alive. Tending the wounded rebellion soldiers, fighting off whoever our enemy was (probably actual Khlinese soldiers judging by the flags), Mana certainly should have known they were here. “I-I…” Mana stuttered, her head turning away from me, “I thought that if...if you didn’t know they were fighting here, you would have agreed to...retre- milady I’m sorry for lying to you!” “So you’re that worried about me, huh? Hmph, where’s Joshua? Did he command everyone to hold this point?” “J-Joshua wanted to...free his sister. He wanted...as much help as he could. B-but…” Mana hesitated for an extended time, before finishing her words, “...you commanded everyone to hold, milady.” “What?” I was shocked. How could I not remember a command like that? Well, it didn’t matter. Hard to believe that getting hit by one of those blasts knocked me out that hard, but that just proves I am able to survive this. Every beast has its weakness, and it is up to me to find it. “Well, whatever. Come then, Mana, we can hold this point. Come on!” I yelled at Mana, before unsheathing my treasured sword. Her pleas and cries ringing on my deaf ears. No. No we can’t, you idiot. I wish I could have told myself that. Fighting a monstrosity nearly three stories tall, in a surprise assault without any information on my enemy at all. What sane person would tackle an enemy like that? Unfortunately, I’m not sane. I’m already drunk on my own arrogance.



No comments:

Post a Comment