Sunday, January 1, 2017

CHAPTER 6 EPILOGUE: Too Late to Evacuate

Featuring: Luna, Artemis, Mana


[12:45 AM] Amasuro:A creation built off of the nobilities complete gamble and sheer desperation to save what remained of the country they owned. What locals could only describe as ‘a monster’, the machine that plowed through the rebellion capital of Kranhai was the result of all the money and resources the leaders of Khlin had pooled over the duration of the war. Of course, pooling all such funds into a project like this cause them to be forced all the way down to the walls of the capital city, but I guess it payed off in the end, huh?
Heh, damn rebels. Apparently, they had no idea something like this was being constructed under their noses, and nobody knew where it came from. How the hell do you hide a monster of this size?
Probably got complacent. Probably didn’t expect that maybe there was a reason the nobility seemed so weak when they pushed them back? They never stopped the production of this monster, and now it crushed their home base. Soon, it will circle around and destroy the forces they have stationed outside the capital.
All because of their damn overconfidence.
Well, now doesn’t that sound familiar? ___________________________________________________________
The sharp clash of metal rang through the battlefield, as milady shoved her sword through the final crack on the side of the monster. With a loud, crashing sound, the monster slowed and lowered its canon before stopping all together.
“M-Milady?!” I called out, rushing forwards. I couldn’t believe that milady Luna’s plan had actually worked! The monster seemed to have slowed, and we made their commander retreat. I was so worried at first, but she is truly amazing!
“Hah! How do you like that, you stupid sack of metal?” Luna taunted at the fallen beast, as she gave a sharp kick to its metal walls.
“A-ah, milady, s-should you really be d-doing that?!” I called out to her, rushing to her side, “what if it w-wakes up again?” “Oh don’t be dumb, Mana. I still don’t know what the hell this thing is, but we totally kicked its a-” Luna’s words cut off sharply, as my fears turned to reality. The beast made a strange, sharp noise before its two canons began to rise up once more. “Luna watch out!” I cried, shoving her to the side. The two of us falling over onto the damaged pavement as the monster began to move slowly behind us. I felt my knee scrape against the fabric of my pants as we fell to the ground, but I ignored the initial sting. Luna rolled and recovered immediately from the fall, watching in horror as the monster began to move itself closer and closer towards the city center. I, on the other hand, shielded my face from the dust that blew towards us. Though, even with my vision impaired, I could see the panic in milady’s eyes. Like a switch just lit the fire in her body. “Damn it, Mana! We have to stop this thing now!” She seethed, preparing to draw her weapon once again. It didn’t seem like the fall hurt her at all, but my leg still remained in excruciating pain. Though, that underlying pain in her voice made me believe otherwise. But before she could advance again, an arrow landing just short of her feet caused milady to leap back a step. I quickly scrambled to my feet, only to see that Kinshi Knight still flying high above the monster. “Queen of Freyzenwald, that is as far as you go,” the woman addressed us, “your tenacity impresses me, but sadly it is not enough. I have had my fun, testing your strength, but now I must continue with my duties. Stand aside.” “Shut up! We destroyed your armies, and now we will destroy this thing too!” Luna cried, her eyes constantly darting around the side of the monster. Looking for another hole, a potential weakness, perhaps even a clue as to how this monster was built or how it functions. “Please, do you truly believe that was the extend of our military? Judging by your words, and the size of the pitiful army you brought to aid the rebellion, I am disappointed at how much you underestimated the heart of Khlin.” It dawned on me quickly. We never entered Khlin with the intention of aiding the rebellion. We were just passing by to reach Concordia! And now, we were caught in between the nobilities largest offensive push against the rebels. “There is fire in your eyes, and I have no intention of extinguishing it quite yet. If you value your life, Queen of Freyzenwald, leave your alliance with the rebels and my sight this instant,” the woman commanded once more, before turning and flying off towards the back of the tank. And that's when I noticed. The legions of soldiers, far behind the tank, seemingly just waiting for their moment to charge into the city. Were they just...toying with us this whole time? Not only did these soldiers look far better equipped than the ones we had already defeated, but their numbers far overtook our own. Milady had to have noticed them too. A low, growling sound could be heard in her direction, as she continued to glare at the monster rolling slowly past us. Likely, milady couldn’t find a weakness in the beast. “...We must go, Luna.” I tried urging her again, tugging lightly on her sleeve. Oddly enough, she still refused to budge. “Ehe...hehehahaha-! That bitch dares talk down to me?!” Luna suddenly bursted into a laugh, “she thinks I will be defeated that easily?! How stupid do you think I am? She is obviously hiding a weakness in this monster! Mana, we must return to the front of the tank and stop it once again! Then after that, we will slaughter all these idiotic so-called nobility soldiers. I don’t care how many still stand by my side, I will not lose!” “Luna snap out of it, what is the matter with you?!” I raised my voice, now yanking on her arm even harder. I couldn’t understand. Milady wasn’t the suicidal type. Long back when I first met her, she always knew when she was outmatched, and always preferred her own self preservation over the lives of others. Sacrificing her life for this city that isn’t even ours? I couldn’t understand! “You...you would abandon me too, Mana? ...Tch, whatever. I don’t need you. I don’t care what happens to me, I just need to...I need to...stop this monster,” Luna continued to speak, as if in a trance, “its too late to evacuate everyone. Everyone in the city will die. Everyone. I can’t...reach them...soon enough...ehehe...heheh…” Everything around me froze, as it all dawned on me. Milady was trying to protect somebody inside the city. Two people, to be exact. She would choose to die for her children. I bit my lip, my emotional brain trying to formulate a thought in my head as the nobility army began to approach closer to our position. Milady, meanwhile, seemed ever ready to just dash off towards her suicide mission at any point. If we had retreated from the start, we could have grabbed them and evacuated. She must know that. She has to. That’s why...she refuses to back down. “Luna. Are you worried about Solrin and Pasach?” I mustered the most emotionless, serious voice possible, but I was hoping it wouldn’t make it too obvious, “do not worry, milady. I already moved them to the ships for evacuation.”
Luna turned her head towards me sharply, her glare burning into my act, “you did? When.”
“While you were knocked out earlier,” I swallowed hard, my gaze unwavering, “did you forget?”
“I...oh.” She murmured. I saw the fire burn out of her eyes, as she began to relax. My heart ached from the lie I had crafted, but, it had to be continued. For her sake.
“Now, may I ask again. Are you ready to evacuate?” ___________________________________________________________
I don’t really know what I expected. Of course my children weren’t on the ship by the time I reached it.
Its odd. I know I should be absolutely furious at her for betraying me, and I absolutely was when I had found out the first time. But, when I saw the final look she gave me before I saw her for the last time, I know her decision hurt her more than it did me. Heh, she’s probably completely terrified of me if she still lives.
And adding another strike due to my arrogance. I wonder who will be next! Oh yeah, I don’t have anyone anymore. Well, maybe we can get into some giant naval battle or something against a giant tentacle monster, and I’ll insist that we stay even though we’re completely outmatched. You know, small stuff like that. Ah, how we escaped. Yes, I haven’t mentioned that one yet. Well, you see, once we managed to reach the dock, all the ships had fled already. Nothing remained in the area, except for a few smaller boats and some villagers still trying to desperately flee on them. I remember looking out into the city, feeling relieved that Mana had retrieved my children and brought them to safety on board a ship. There was really no way I could have reached them in time while making it back to the port safely. We had no idea where everyone had ended up. I finally gave the command to retreat shortly after Mana gave me the news, and we ran off quickly towards the port. Joshua and his sister tried rounding up the slower members of our team, while those with mounts helped with the rest. Or, they just fled, who knows. They were some good people, I do hope they still live. Even that stupid maid, I suppose. I noticed a small family beginning to paddle away towards the ships in the distance, and asked them quickly if we could hop on. The canoe wasn’t very large, and was already off the dock, so they had to pedal back to a spot closer to the seawall. It was a small jump down, but when you’re evacuating for your life, I guess you shouldn’t be picky about these sorts of things. I prepared to leap down into the boat, but hesitated as I noticed Mana lingering behind me. I called out to her, asking her what was wrong, and to hurry it up as we were holding up this poor family. But, she didn’t respond. She almost seemed like she was about to cry for some reason. I didn’t understand at that time. After a lot of urging, she finally approached closer towards me. I thought she finally decided to leave. But that’s when she told me, “I’m sorry.” And pushed me off the pier. Mana screamed at the family to paddle, before running back into the city. I...I wanted to leap back for her, but we were already too far away from the land. And I...still can’t...really swim. And those, were the consequences of my actions. If anyone can protect Solrin and Pasach, it is you, Mana. Just, please, don’t get yourself killed trying to do so. Now, as I sit on this boat headed for Concordia, I will do what only I can, and end this war between Gallaran and Freyzenwald. And it only cost me everyone that accompanied me on this journey. Please, please stay alive. And...I’m sorry.




No comments:

Post a Comment