Tuesday, September 27, 2016

81.1: The Vine Contest

Featuring: Sula, Mund, Jean

September 27, 2016
[3:08 PM] Kwakado: The Vine Contest A towering tree sits at the center of the encampment, teeming with life. Birds rest on its thick branches, and a mosaic of moss blankets its bark. But the most notable feature of this tree are the long, strong green vines that tangle through its canopy and hang down to the surface of the camp. It is these vines, for the most part, that are being used in the makeshift challenege that Luna's army has put together. With only five minutes left until the 6 hour mark, only three men are still hanging on, guaranteed to have some form of prize waiting for them. But the one who lasts the longest will be awarded with one of the kingdom's oldest weapons, as befitting their own skills. Sula, Jean and Mund, by some twist of fate, are all hanging by the tree's trunk. Such a position puts them in view of almost the entire encampment, turning the whole army into a sort of idle audience. While some soldiers have moved on, others watch intently, to see who will win the bizzarre Vine Contest.
[3:15 PM] EndumAndTheWorld: Mund couldn't believe: he was actually on the top 3! At least, he would receive some sort of prize. His current rivals were really... unexpected: the first was Sula, the oldest man of the group, who has helped him numerous times in the past and Jean, the local flirter. "So, gentlemen? How do you feel right now?"
[3:20 PM] Abyssal Lord: Jean yawned. Why was he on the vine for almost 6 hours? How did he manage to stay on for almost 6 hours? He thought he would barely be on for a few minutes. He had no clue but hey he was in the Top Three! That counted for something right? Jean looked down and among the crowd he saw his wyvern Angard looking from below with bated anticipation. Jean sighed. Geez you're more anxious about this then me Angard. Jean perked up to Mund's question. "Huh me? Never been better! There's nothing like hanging onto a vine for half the day to raise team morale right my fellow flier?"
[3:25 PM] Kwakado: Sula looks down towards them, having ascended to a rather dangerous height over the course of the contest. His closed eyes open, after hours of total silence, noticing the only remaining competitors. "Ha, you boys have made it so far! I had thought you were born in the city..."
[3:32 PM] EndumAndTheWorld: "I'm more surprised how someone as old as you was able surprass people with half of your age..." Mund yawned at that moment: staying 30 minutes for some contest was fine and all, but 6 hours was a little bit of a stretch. He was getting tired, he didn't feel some of the muscles and he wanted to sleep. But it wasn't time to falter! If he was going to stay there for 6 hours, might as well get the damned 1st prize! He suddenly felt motivated in continuing! And his hands almost slipped from the vine, almost falling to his defeat (and probably death). "That... that was TOO close..."
[3:42 PM] Abyssal Lord: Jean laughed. "Don't slip now Mund! You don't want to get hurt!" Jean then turned to Sula. "Me as well Sula but maybe clinging onto the back of Angard has done more good then I thought. Or gripping on curtains when I was a kid. Probably the latter." Jean shook his head. "Anyway Sula, Mund does have a point how have you stayed on for so long? Did you sprinkle a bit of De Dwabi magic on the vine beforehand?"
[3:44 PM] Kwakado: A confounded look starts to form on Sula's face, but he twists it into a congratulatory smile. "You have good eyes, Jean-i! The Dwabi have special nature powers, that fill these old bones with life energy from the tree roots!" He looks over to Mund, with the same smile. "Maybe you should climb down....if you fall there, it will be, ha.." Sula lets out a hard hiss.
[3:48 PM] EndumAndTheWorld: "Ah, don't underestimate me! Just because I almost fell, doesn't mean I'm going to lose." Once again, he starts to slowly go down the vine. "Why are you two climbing more? Aren't we already high enough?" He was so tired, that he was starting to become unaware with his surroundings.(edited)
[3:52 PM] Kwakado: "It is the most secret of Dwabi magics, Stink-i! Consider...if Sula-o falls now, he will not live. So I will not fall." Sula punctuates this asinine statement with a stern look, like a teacher finishing their lesson.(edited)
[3:56 PM] Abyssal Lord: Jean just laughed. Both at Sula's lesson and at Mund's compliments. "Come on Mund aren't you the youngest one here? How are you letting us beat you! Come on put some work into it!" Jean then turned to Sula. "Perhaps I should read more books on Dwabi Culture. I was never too interested in it as a child but I don't want to go into the country yelling the Stink-i is the most powerful of Dwabi Magics and getting strange looks."
[4:03 PM] Amasuro: Dangling her feet off the side of one of the encampments many treehouse perchs, Luna sits content, watching the vine contest from afar as she chomps on some fruit. ...Wow, they actually did it, huh? Geez, wonder how bored they were.
[4:05 PM] EndumAndTheWorld: Mund, after coming to his senses, slowly climbs up to be on the same level as the other two. He sighes out of frustration. "Come on, Sula. How many times do I need to tell you to stop calling me that? It's rude and I still have no idea why you still call me that!" He turns to Jean, agreeing with him. "But I guess it wouldn't hurt to know more about the Dwabi culture. Sounds interesting enough, now that I think about it..."
[4:05 PM] Kwakado: "..." It is as if he doesn't even hear the conversation. "What is your name, then, sir?"
[4:11 PM] EndumAndTheWorld: "We've been figthing together for quite some time, we've protected princess Luna from death and we've saved an horse in the middle of the apocalypse. And you still don't know my name?"
[4:11 PM] EndumAndTheWorld: "My name is Mund. And don't you dare to call me another thing, whatsoever!"
[4:16 PM] Abyssal Lord: Jean smiled. "You heard him Sula. I think you might want to call him Mund from now on. Otherwise I fear Mund will have found a new target to practice on." Jean yawned. "Heh. The others must think we're crazy staying on here for so long. I wonder if the Queen is looking?" Jean looked around and after noticing that Luna wasn't in the audience shouted, "QUEEN LUNA!!!! ARE YOU WATCHING US?" Jean smirked. "I wonder if she even heard that?"
[4:21 PM] Kwakado: "Of course, of course...Mun-di." Sula gave a resolute nod. He could feel the name slipping from his mind already. "I will remember this one, yes." At the sound of Jean's sudden shouting, Sula shook his head. "Lunare-o is leading a war for her people, boy! I am sure she has greater duties now, than watching crazy men on vines! Ha!"
[4:21 PM] Amasuro: Man, this apple tastes pretty good. Nom...did I hear my name? ...Eh, musta been the wind. Those guys still on that vine?
[4:25 PM] EndumAndTheWorld: "I don't know... By the looks of it, Queen Lunarea seems to be just lazying around, while eating an apple and watching 3 men stuck in vines..." "I think we're being kind of treated as show freaks." he says that in an annoying way.
[4:28 PM] Abyssal Lord: Jean laughed. "I don't think people have much room to talk! This whole army is composed of freaks Mund! If it makes you feel better you're one of the more normal people here. You're pretty much a needle in a haystack my friend."
[4:36 PM] Kwakado: "Yes, yes, very normal." Sula was relieved to hear that Jean had never seen the sin that slept within... But then, neither had Sula, since the night Mund had tried to kill him and Leodin... Sula opened his mouth, wishing to inquire more...but with the Genniur noble there it just wasn't an option. "But these are truly some strange allies... Almost like an army of demons ourselves, ha ha ha."
[4:41 PM] EndumAndTheWorld: "I agree, my fair sir. Let's see..." Mund thinks, trying his best to remember every single member of the party. "We have an insane maid, lots of psychos, a flirter, a manakete who hates people is with us, for some reason..."(edited)
[4:45 PM] Abyssal Lord: Jean continued. "..... A warrior princess that makes the Facless look like dwarves, a drugee Apothecary, a masked hero who sleeps on rooftops. Heh. The list goes on and on on....."
[4:58 PM] EndumAndTheWorld: "An interesting group though, if I dare to say myself. It would be a shame if..." He yawns loudly, probably knowing he was already in the limits of his limits. "I'm... I'm going to forfeit... I'm too tired to continue this. I can happily receive the 3rd place prize. Good luck, gentlemen." And there was Mund, sliding down the vine until his feet met the ground. He decided to wait to see who would win the duel between the two fliers.
[5:01 PM] Abyssal Lord: Jean smirked. "Huh now that's surprising. I thought you would go down before him Sula. So it's just me and you left huh Sula? Who would've seen this coming?"
[5:05 PM] Kwakado: "Hmmm....You thought I would fall before Mun-di?" Sula gave a sharp, rhythmic laugh. "No, no, you can do better than third place, boy."
[5:10 PM] Abyssal Lord: Jean sighed. "Hmm perhaps I can. I didn't expect to get to 2nd place at all. In all honesty I thought at the very least Yavae Warrior Princess would still be holding on but perhaps she was a bit too fiery for the vine to handle..." Jean smiled. "But I guess in a way it's quite ironic. When I meet you in Amaterasu that day, I didn't think that I would be fighting side by side with you for the next long while." Jean paused for a bit. "So how are you and Vivianna going? Is everything good with you two?"
[5:15 PM] Kwakado: "None of us expected to become warriors together, to be true...Something broke away in that earthquake, and we found our fates." Jean's question was not as much of a surprise as it might have been earlier. It seemed as if the whole army was interested in the bond between him and their songstress...or perhaps it was all they to ask about. "Kwemo, yes, wonderful! We have decided to be married."
[5:20 PM] Abyssal Lord: Jean gave a surprised look. "Really that quickly? Wow! I didn't expect you to tie the knot so quickly! I'm impressed. How did you do it?"
[5:26 PM] Kwakado: Sula shoots him a little smirk, and responded with what must have sounded like a joke. "A bit of Dwabi Magic, of course! Ha ha ha!"
[5:28 PM] Abyssal Lord: Jean gave a serious look. "I heavily doubt that Sula. Come on spill the beans! Tell my how you truly captured the songstress's heart."
[5:32 PM] Kwakado: Sula shrugged his shoulders, surprised at how tired they already were starting to feel from this. "Jean-ni...what ties our hearts is longer, more tangled than the vines of this tree! I do not know where to begin, truly..."
[5:33 PM] Abyssal Lord: Jean laughed. "I have time. We could be hanging around for a bit longer."
[5:38 PM] Kwakado: With a sigh of concession, Sula relents. "You are a strong foe, sir! Very well, very well. I think it started, with our child. Este-i." Scanning the surface below, he points to a strong-looking foal in the distance. "There he is, next to Shimi-e. We...took care of him, together."
[5:41 PM] Abyssal Lord: Jean nodded. "Ah I see. How interesting. But now tell me, what happened after Este-i?"
[5:47 PM] Kwakado: "Well...ha ha ha, I made a necklace for her, but it got lost." He shook his head. These details must have seemed so empty on their own. "We went on a journey to make another one, but a powerful monster stopped us. She saw the Keiji-i we held, and gave a beautiful stone as a sign of our hearts!" He smiled theatrically at his outlandish truth-telling. "You have seen how it sparkles on her, yes?"
[5:51 PM] Abyssal Lord: "Ah yes it is quite beautiful indeed Sula! I was wondering where she procured it!" Jean sighed. He wanted an honest answer out of him but he probably was going to get it here, maybe never. A foolish part of him thought, that if he knew what Sula did he could perhaps find love too. Jean let out a deep breath after his moment of thought. "But perhaps this is something we should take about in private..." Jean quickly switched the topic not wanting to drone on with this anymore. "Anyway what are the prizes for 1st and 2nd Place again?"
[5:56 PM] Kwakado: Sula smiled nostalgically. It felt comforting, in a way, to lay everything out. It was a story he would have to learn to tell better at some point, of course... "Ah, I think the first prize is a weapon. One of them was a special throwing club, i think...A servant of their king once used it."
[6:00 PM] Abyssal Lord: "A throwing club? Really then?" Jean wasn't too sure about taking that home? According to Tori and well even he had to admit to himself he already had a hard time hitting enemies right in front of his face let alone at a distance. He looked flashy while doing it but Tori saw through the glitz and glamour and only saw the failures and was quick to point them out. And that's what I love about her. Jean continued on. "Is there anything from the first place pile you want? I think I saw a scroll of some kind in there."
[6:02 PM] Kwakado: "Hmm, I have not looked very close yet. But it should be easy to decide after I come down."
[6:03 PM] Abyssal Lord: "And what's the second place Prize?"
[6:07 PM] Kwakado: "Hmm...I did not see." Sula stretched his clasped toes out, then returned them to place. "What sort of prize would you wish for?"
[6:10 PM] Abyssal Lord: "Ah me. I'm looking for some gold you see. I'm somewhat short on cash you see. Gold never seems to stay for long in my pockets." Jean smirked. "But if I get a weapon that the servant of a king once used everyone would look at me like I'm brain-dead. So I'm truly hoping that the second place prize is a decently charitable amount of pocket change."
[6:14 PM] Kwakado: "Oh, if you are looking for gold this is a good place for you!" Though Sula would not admit it so freely, the monetary reward for fighting on the Queen's behalf was quite persuasive...Especially for someone like him, who could profit only in servitude and slaughter. His legs flexed outward once more, jolting him with pain. "Just why is it you stay in this group Jea-ni? Are there no other festivals for you to fly to?"
[6:24 PM] Abyssal Lord: Jean smiled. "You know that's the question I ask myself I wake up each morning. What's exactly the point of staying here instead of just flying off in search of more adventure. But my reason, well it's two reasons really. My first one is that if I'm ever blessed with a child my adventures within Luna's Crazy and unable Army should make for some interesting bedtime material. And the second reason is..." Jean paused for a bit. "Even with this crazy army, this horribly managed army with people of so many shady backgrounds, we probably have thieves, rapist, murderers in our ranks. It's clear that Luna doesn't care as long as you just blindly follow her and serve under her. But Sula, there are really good people here. I want to make sure that people like you, Vivianna, Claire can live through this crazy campaign. I have no will to live for myself so I live for other people Sula. I doubt staying with this army will really change the world for the better. To be honest Luna may just end up bringing more trouble to this world with her victories with how hot-headed she is. But I want to make sure the good people of this army survive to the end." Jean sighed. "Does that answer suffice. My fellow flier?"
[6:31 PM] Kwakado: "...You are a better man than I am, Jea-ni. That was beautiful." A wistful look filled the Dwabi's eyes. He didn't even bother to correct the boy, about the fact that Sula was the kind of person he was here to protect against. "With loyalty like that...I think that you can find happiness one day, sir."
[6:41 PM] Abyssal Lord: Jean shrugged. "I mean that's heavily debatable. On both accounts though." Jean yawned. He thought it was about time to give up, he really didn't know how much longer he could feasibly hold on without dying of boredom. He just hoped the second prize was a gold reward. But of course as the Jean way he had to leave in style. He looked down to his black Wyvern. "Angard!!!!" The Wyvern who was still intently watching the vine contest looked up in surprise and then angrily shrieked at Jean knowing what he wanted to do next. Geez. Does she really want me to win this so badly? Welp. Sorry to disappoint. Jean called out to his Wyvern again. "Angard!!!!" The Black Wyvern let out a annoyed snort before flapping it's massive wings and flying up towards Jean who jumped onto her back giving him second place. Jean smiled at Sula who was still hanging onto his vine. "So it seems like you're the victor Sula. How much longer do you think you'll be able to stay on?"(edited)
[6:46 PM] Kwakado: The Dwabi clapped his feet together at the Wyvern's catch. "Nice trick!" If nothing else, Angard looked like a companion that would always be there for the boy.... "Ah, another three hours...if I were still young, I would. But to try that today, it would be hard to rest after that, ha ha ha!" Already, he was beginning to feel some soreness in his limbs. "Perhaps I will meditate for some time, then we can end this game."
[6:49 PM] Abyssal Lord: Jean smiled. "Well then you have fun then. I'll be back when they're ready to give out the prizes. Until then so long Sula! My fellow flier!!!!" Jean took off in the opposite direction hoping to find a place to collect his thoughts.
[6:50 PM] Kwakado: "Ommm...." Sula spends the next ten minutes in deep contemplation.
[6:50 PM] Kwakado: ===END RP===




No comments:

Post a Comment