Sunday, March 8, 2020

[Flashback] - Seven Years Since She Disappeared

 Featuring: Ellis, Joshua

Four months before her supposed coronation, Ellis and Joshua discuss the absence of her older sister Luna over tea. While Joshua wonders whether she may return one day, Ellis laments the Freyzenese people's inability to move on from her loss, feeling that they would chose Luna over her no matter what. Joshua encourages her, saying she will be a great Queen, which prompts Ellis to hint at her grand plans for advancing the glory of Freyzenwald. Their discussion is interrupted by the announcement of Luna's return.


8:55 PM : 

August 15th, 2635 “If my sister was here...do you believe she would have been coronated instead?” “That is a rather sudden question, princess. Does your sister still weigh on your mind?” Ellis shook her head, walking over to the balconies edge, as she ran a hand across the top of its bannister. Her long, white hair shimmering and blowing in the soft daylight breeze. “Yes. Each and every passing moment.” Ellis responds. Joshua wiped his brow, placing the broomstick he had been using along the balconies back wall before walking over to a small pitcher of lemonade on a table. “I see. I suppose its been a bit over seven years since she disappeared, now.” Joshua spoke, pouring the lemonade into two glasses. Taking both, he began walking over to Ellis, before handing her one of the glasses. Ellis gave a smile at her retainer, before taking a sip of the drink, “it is very nice and sweet. Did you make this, Joshua?” “With some help from Kazama, yes.” “Then remind me to thank you both sometime.” Ellis turned back around to look out the balcony. The cool glass gripped firmly in her two hands.

8:55 PM : 

“Seven years. I suppose she will not be coming back then.” Came Ellis’ standard blank voice. Even when talking about her sister, that Joshua assumed she missed dearly, Ellis still refused to show any significant emotion. “That is quite negative. She may yet still live, but perhaps she is unable to return?” Joshua suggested, walking over to her side, “it was pirates, I believe. She may just merely be overseas.” “Do you prefer her to be here?” “Well, of course!” Joshua answered, thinking it to be obvious, “it was already a tragedy to have her kidnapped like that. It would be a miracle to see her return!” “I...see…” “...Do you prefer her to not ret-” “Cease with the conclusion you are drawing.” Ellis spoke up, interrupting Joshua before he finished, “...that is...of course I would love to see my older sister return. But...we must accept that she likely is not.” “If you insist.” Joshua tried his best not to stutter a response in surprise, “I am sorry for my words.” “Do not be. I understand your sentiment, but...it is time to look ahead to the future.” Ellis stopped, turning her head over to glare towards Joshua. Her normally soft eyes seemed hardened, “I return to my original question. If my sister were here, do you believe she would have been coronated instead?”

8:56 PM : 

“...I don’t believe so. I think you have done wonders to our country, and the people would recognize it.” “Yes, of course. As the last remaining royal member of the Rurijisa line, I must do my part to maintain the standard of excellence my father had left behind. For...years I had studied and practiced...to be the best ruler I could possibly be.” “Then you will do a fantastic job.” Ellis’ stare turned blank, before her head turned back towards the distance, “...of course I will. And yet...it is not enough.” “Is it not?” “...It is never enough. Every day I have to be reminded about my sister. How her absence still rings deeply in our hearts. A void that will never be filled.” Joshua placed his empty glass back on the table, suddenly feeling a colder chill from the wind. “Understandable. She was still royalty.” “Understandable...is it? To claw after the image of a long gone princess, while I still stand before them, and you believe it to be understandable? Why...why can they just not let her die?” Joshua remained silent for a moment, unable to think of a response. “I...don’t know.” Was the words he finally managed.

8:56 PM : 

“I will tell you why. It is because they all still prefer her to me. They would rather see my sister here instead of me! Why, I bet if I were the one to have died out in the sea, nobody would have batted an eye!” Joshua’s heart began to race slightly, as he continued to keep his composure, “that’s ridiculous! Princess Ellis, don’t listen to such opinions. They are unfounded!” “Are they? Are they?! Ever since I was a child, I was always compared to her. Even though I had studied, trained, and practiced far harder than she ever did, I was...I was never…” Joshua walked swiftly up towards Ellis, grabbing the glass from her hands. Holding the glass in one hand, he placed a hand on top of her shoulder. “Princess, you will be an amazing Queen.” Joshua spoke in an attempt to comfort his liege. Though, she didn’t seem to look very sad. Rather, there was an odd fire in her eyes instead. An incredibly odd twinkle in her eye, as it burned furiously. “...Heh...Hehe...of course I will be,” came an almost overconfident sounding voice, as Ellis walked away from Joshua’s hand, “you see, Joshua. I have many, many plans that have been in the works for a good while now.” “...Plans, princess? I don’t know what you are talking about.”

8:56 PM : 

“Well, yes. Simply a few deals I have made with some individuals. You will see, Joshua. I plan to turn our nation into the greatest country in all of Amia. No longer will we hide in Gallarans shadow.” “That sounds...very ambitious. Do I get to know how?” “Now that...is a secret. But, of course, there is but only four more months to wait, Joshua. And you will see. You and everyone else will see, how Queen Ellis Rurijisa freed herself from the shackles of her sister’s soul, and became the best ruler Freyzenwald has ever seen.” The door to the patio was suddenly opened, causing a short yelp out of Ellis. Though, she quickly composed herself, brushing off her dress, before addressing the servant that just entered. “Oh, did you need something?” “Well, uhh, you see…” The servant began, rubbing a hand behind his head, “it is the oddest thing. There appears to be a woman down by the piers. And she...she claims to be princess Lunarea.”

8:56 PM : 

==End==

March 12, 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment